<bgsound src="http://media.vmg.com/VMD9341/VMD9341-S-96kbps-03.mp3" loop="infinite">
My Rambles: A moment from teaching...

Thursday, July 05, 2007

A moment from teaching...

So I was teaching my Level 5 reading class (6th to 8th graders) and I was teaching a lesson on nonfiction text about the immune system.

One of my students raises his hand and asks, "So Miss Tran, are white blood cells kind of like gangsters?" Taken aback, I ask him to clarify his thought. He says, "Well, white blood cells surround the invading organism and attacks it, right?" I nodded. He goes on, "Gangsters do that too. So white blood cells are like gangsters, right?" Not quite knowing what to say, I respond, "Well, white blood cells surround, attack, and eat up the invading organisms for our body's good." My student then said, "So, white blood cells are good gangsters?" I finally conceded, "Yeah, if that's what makes you better understand the text, sure!"

Didn't realize that middle schoolers can still so precious!

1 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Blogger Jesse Lu said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home